Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wither the GOP?

(no, that's not a typo)
I just heard Judd Gregg on NPR, attack Obama's budget priorities. I strikes me that he is not at all a man who could fit into an Obama administration. Thus, we have two possibilities. Either Gregg is a) an opportunist capable changing his ideological belief's to fit his situation, or b) he was, as he claimed, too stupid to realize that Obama is liberal.
Speaking of GOP flim-flam, I managed to catch the first 90 seconds of Bobby Jindal's terrible response to the un-State of the Union speech. I could stand the first 90 seconds of the "I'm talking to a bunch of 1st Graders" tone before I flipped it off. Badly delivered, the speech was also stupid, among other thing complaining about the money we waste monitoring volcanoes.
I've seen my share of horrible responses to State of the Union: Nancy Pelosi, Tom Daschle, Kathleen Sebelius (I've only seen one exception, that given by Jim Webb). The difference here is that this was Bobby Jindal's stepping onto the national stage and he tripped, badly. Jindal is already campaigning for the Republican nomination for 2012, by saying he will reject a (very small) portion of the stimulus money.
The Republican party is up in arms about the increase in the deficit, and, paradoxically, equally up in arms on the increase in taxes on those earning over $250,000. The "increase in taxes" is achieved by allowing Bush's tax cuts to run out, tax cuts that the Republicans would have fought tooth and nail if their was anything to their principles of fiscal responsibility besides opportunism. Where were these people when president Bush was spending massive amounts on the Iraq war? Yet when a Democrat wants to spend money to bail out the economy, they're suddenly up in arms.

No comments: