Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I don't even know what to say

Apparently the Army doesn't have all our personal information, because a recruiter called me not ten minutes ago. Now, I don't mind that much - after all, recruiting numbers haven't been looking good, and they have to try to find someone to fight for "Freedom (TM)." But when I told the guy I wasn't interested because I was a pacifist ( a bit of a stretch, but I like to hear their reactions). He told me "Well, that's cool, that's what's nice about America, that we can put up with that." I might not have the quote exactly right, but he definitely implied that in America we "put up" with pacifists.
I guess I can expect this kind of attitude from the military, but "put up with" is such a strong phrase. Why not disagree? Why not have a difference of opinion? "Putting up with" sounds like pacifists are some 'undesirable' class that is only around due to our good graces. Obviously in the past 8 years, we've seen that violence has only been begetting more violence. Perhaps a more pacifistic approach would do the world good?

...nah, screw it. Let's go nuke Iran and occupy some piece of crap country for the hell of it! You know, just to show the world that we're not a fading superpower or anything like that...

No comments: