Friday, March 28, 2008

national anthem

It came to my understanding earlier in this campaign cycle that Barack Obama was somehow un-American, unpatriotic even, because at at Democratic rally he did not put his hand over his heart during the national anthem. I just got back from Joe Louis Arena and a near-win for the Redwings (4-3, not the best game they ever played for sure), and the number of people with their hands over their hearts counted in the low tens. Actually, it was about 4 that I could see from the camera that swept through the stands. I actually took my hand off my heart because no one else was doing it and I felt unsure. Are all of these die-hard Detroit fans un-American? Or is it that nit-picking stupid "patriotic" gestures makes for good TV ratings in red states and the dragging down of the best Democratic presidential candidate we've had in a while?
-Matt

No comments: