Saturday, February 2, 2008

Everybody Loathes Romney















A New York Times article from awhile back on how much the other candididates in the race hate Mitt Romney.

“Never get into a wrestling match with a pig,” Senator John McCain said in New Hampshire this month after reporters asked him about Mr. Romney. “You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.”

Mike Huckabee’s pugilistic campaign chairman, Ed Rollins, appeared to stop just short of threatening Mr. Romney with physical violence at one point.

“What I have to do is make sure that my anger with a guy like Romney, whose teeth I want to knock out, doesn’t get in the way of my thought process,” Mr. Rollins said.

GOP govenors apperently don't like him either.

I think I can claim some vindication here. In my post comparing the candidates to high-school students, I said "Romney is the preppy dweeb who tries his damnedest to fit in, but just ends up being beaten-up by McCain and his friends."
Now the article:

Mr. Schnur used a schoolyard analogy to compare Mr. Romney, the ever-proper Harvard Law School and Business School graduate, to Mr. McCain, the gregarious rebel who racked up demerits and friends at the Naval Academy.

“John McCain and his friends used to beat up Mitt Romney at recess,” Mr. Schnur said.

Well, that's an elementary school analogy (it mentions recess), but it's pretty close to my high-school analogy. Anyway, Jon Chait writes
The peculiar ethos of Washington holds that this sort of analogy is supposed to make you like McCain, the cool kid, and dislike Romney, the awkward, nerdy outsider.
As he put it in his column about Romney that he quotes in that post.
I can almost picture him coming home from the Republican debates, crying his eyes out that he wants to move back to Massachusetts because all the other candidates keep laughing at him.


No comments: