Sunday, January 27, 2008

I Drink Your Milkshake













There Will Be Blood is an amazing movie. It is a period piece unlike any other film I have seen. Daniel Day-Lewis looks like the likely winner of the Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal of an oil-man with a personality reminiscent of Joseph Stalin. He certainly more than deserves the award, and his misanthropic twisted character is the film's heart. Also good is Paul Dano (Little Miss Sunshine) as his young evangelist rival. While the film has recieved near universal critical acclaim, many treat the movie's end scene as a misstep. To me, the end was perfect. Go see this movie.

2 comments:

politics watch said...

I'm not sure if I understand the whole movie (missed the first 14 minutes), but then seemed kind of right. It was more european in nature, and by european I mean that their movies often don't have tidy little endings like ours do.

sockrateaser said...

True. It was also European in another way, which is they have a different outlook on this country, more likely to see it shaped by greed where we mythologize American can-do spirit. You're right, it really didn't have a tidy ending, but I was satisfied nevertheless (see also "No Country For Old Men").